Since climate change appears to have important effects, it is essential for countries and communities to take practical steps to protect themselves against possible damage and disruption. It is what is known in the international jargon with the term adaptation.
The main goal of adaptation is to reduce Vulnerability by promoting sustainable development. Adapting to climate change must consider not only how to reduce vulnerability to negative impacts, but also how to benefit from the positive ones. Adaptation measures should focus on the short and long term, and include components of environmental management, planning and disaster management.
With regard to mitigation, , it refers to policies, technologies and measures aimed at limiting and reducing greenhouse gas emissions and improving their sinks, in accordance with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Measures of mitigation and adaptation to Climate Change atras
A mix of measures tailored to national conditions is needed
As circumstances differ between countries and regions, and various obstacles currently impede the development and implementation of these technologies and practices, no single measure will be sufficient for the timely development, adoption and dissemination of mitigation options. Rather, a combination of measures adapted to national, regional and local conditions would be needed.
AZENTÚA, helps to achieve the objectives derived from the UNFCCC, through the involvement and coordination of different specialists in several disciplines associated to the mitigation and adaptation to climate change:
- Inventory of greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) or carbon footprint of organizations.
- Carbon footprint of products, services or activities.
- Compensation and neutrality of carbon.
- GHG emission reduction projects. Cost-abatement curves (ISO 14.064-2, domestic projects, others).
- Inventories and territorial projections (cities, regions, states, …) of GHG emissions.
- Mitigation plans.
- Impact diagnostics and business strategies for adaptation to climate change.
- Communication of carbon management (CDP and others).